Friday, January 14, 2011

Stir-Fry with Tofu



I have not posted in almost a week, so I am redeeming myself by making two posts today. I have not posted because we have just been eating BLT sandwiches with soup, baked potatoes, re-dos (cream of potato soup) and leftovers. I figured maybe those were not post-worthy meals, hence no recent posts. Tonight I am making stir-fry with tofu and brown rice and listening to my Pandora The White Stripes station. Strange combo, I know...I was just in the mood for The White Stripes. What I really love is that they have been tossing in some Racounteurs, too. I saw them in concert with my friend Kellee several years ago, they rocked it! Hi Kellee!

Stir-fry is a simple, quick throw together meal. I just use whatever vegetables are in my fridge and create some type of sauce. Sometimes it is sweet and sour, sometimes it is just a simple sesame-soy dressing and tonight it is a brown sauce comprised of the marinade used for the tofu. You really can use anything you want to marinate the tofu in-it will take on whatever flavors you meld it with. Tonight I chose tamari, hot chili oil, dark sesame oil, a touch of rice wine vinegar, garlic and ginger.

Stir-Fry with Tofu
Serves 2

1 tbsp peanut, canola or vegetable oil
1 carrot, peeled and cut on the diagonal
1 rib celery, cut on the diagonal
1/2 cup red bell pepper, seeded and cut into slices
1/2 cup broccoli florets
1/4 cup onion, sliced
8 ounces extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed, cut into 1 inch cubes
1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
1 tsp hot chili oil or garlic chili paste
1 tsp dark sesame oil
1 inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup vegetable stock
1 tsp potato or corn starch mixed with 2 tbsp water


Mix together tamari, chili oil, sesame oil, ginger and garlic in a dish with a lid. Place tofu in with marinade and mix together. Marinate anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours. 
Heat oil over medium high heat in a large skillet or wok. Stir in onions and cook for 1 
minute. In the same wok, stir-fry carrots, broccoli and bell pepper for 2 minutes. Add the celery to skillet and stir-fry another 2 minutes. Remove vegetables from wok and set aside.
Add tofu to hot wok and cook about 4 minutes. Remove from wok and set aside. In the same wok, add garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds. Add stock, soy sauce, sesame oil, and chili paste. Bring to a simmer. Cook for 2 minutes and stir in cornstarch mixture. Simmer until sauce thickens. Add tofu and vegetables back to sauce. Toss to heat through. To serve, garnish with scallions, cilantro, sesame seeds or serve immediately with brown rice.


1 comment:

  1. I totally was planning on a stir fry this coming week so you have inspired me about the flava! Mmmmm. And I love the White Stripes, but I really really love the Racontours. Yay for cooking music.

    ReplyDelete