Thursday, January 20, 2011

Pasta with Summer Sauce

What sounds better in the dead of winter than summer sauce? My great friend Rachel made this once, and we loved it so we make it even in wintertime with so-so tomatoes. This post is short and sweet because I have like 2 or 3 more posts to make. I have been slacking! I took the pictures, I just have not posted them to the blog. Tonight, I will post. Tomorrow, I will make more food!



Pasta with Summer Sauce
Serves 3-4
Total Time: 30 minutes

1/2 a box of whole-wheat pasta
2-3 tbsp good olive oil (I will admit to using almost a 1/4 cup of olive oil in this recipe)
5 ripe tomatoes on the vine or 6-7 roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped in a food processor
1/2 of a yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup loosely packed cilantro
Salt to taste

Cook pasta according to package directions.

While the pasta is cooking, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan over low heat. Add onions, cover with a tight fitting lid and sweat until onions have a translucent and soft texture. Increase heat to medium-low and add garlic. Saute garlic for 30 seconds to one minute until fragrant. Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 15 minutes, add remaining olive oil, and season with salt to taste. Roughly chop cilantro and add to sauce.

Drain pasta and drizzle with a little olive oil to keep pasta from sticking together. Top with sauce and serve with salad and homemade garlic bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment