Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Pasta Primavera

We are running seriously low on groceries so as I scanned the fridge in my mind, I came up with a super simple dinner idea. Pasta Primavera. It requires virtually no standing time in the kitchen! Now that is my kind of recipe. Don't get me wrong, I love intricate, time-involved recipes, as well. But not tonight. We were on a super short time frame as Shannon got home at 4:30p and had a meeting to attend at 6p. Jesse took a late nap today, so I started dinner at 5p and it was done by 5:38p. I apologize for the less than appetizing picture. Since I started this project, I have realized that lighting and location are everything to capture even just an ok picture. I promise to work on my picture taking skills.



Pasta Primavera
Serves 2
Total Time: 30 minutes

1 zucchini, cut into thin strips
1 yellow squash, cut into thin strips
1 carrot, peeled and cut into thin strips
1/4 yellow onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup broccoli florets
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tbs olive oil
1 tsp dried Italian herbs (I used thyme, oregano, basil); Herbes de Provence would be great if you have it
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
1/3 pkg or box of pasta (I used spaghetti but farfalle would be great)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


On a large heavy baking sheet, toss all of the vegetables with the oil, salt, pepper, and dried herbs to coat. Bake until the carrots are tender and the vegetables begin to brown, stirring after the first 10 minutes, about 20 minutes total.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until cooked to your liking: al dente takes about 8 minutes, tender takes about 12 minutes. Drain, reserving less than 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid.
Toss the pasta with the vegetables and fresh garlic in a large bowl and enough reserved cooking liquid to moisten. Season the pasta with salt and pepper, to taste. 
These were the only vegetables I had on hand. Bell pepper and cherry tomatoes would make a great addition to this recipe.

2 comments:

  1. So this dinner was absolutely delicious. Although I had minimal time to eat before I ran off to my meeting, I really enjoyed this combination. YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I could actually make this one. Looks good! :)

    ReplyDelete