Sunday, March 6, 2011

Chipotle, Corn and Black Bean Stew


The last three recipes I have posted have been Mexican fare. I am not really sure how that worked out as such as my cooking has been largely sporadic over the past few weeks. I guess these are the dishes I remembered to take pictures of! After not posting for so long, we have sat down to eat a meal and halfway through it dawns on me that I did not take pictures. Wah wah wah. Anyhow, this recipe is adapted from Vegan With a Vengeance therefore I think I can post it because I have tinkered with it quite a bit.

Chipotle, Corn and Black Bean Stew
Serves 6
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes (20 minutes inactive)

2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp cumin
3 chipotle peppers, chopped
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
3 1/2 + cups of water
1-2 russet potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch dice
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch dice
1 cup corn
1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed or homemade
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, lightly packed and torn into pieces
1 lime, juice and zest of
1 tsp salt
pinch of fresh ground black pepper

In a stockpot, saute the onions in the oil over moderate heat for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Saute 1 minute more. Add the chipotles, tomatoes, and water, stir. Add the potatoes and carrots, bring to a low boil, and simmer for 20 minutes.

Uncover, add the corn and beans. Thin with more water if needed. Cook uncovered for 5 more minutes. Add the cilantro, lime zest, and lime juice. Let sit for at least 10 minutes. Serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment